Monday, December 03, 2012

Proactive and Organized

I am feeling really awesome these days. 
And I know exactly the reasons why…

Firstly, I have been one mega proactive dude. I have not only been thinking 3 steps ahead, but I've been taking action. Example: This morning I have already thrown dinner into the crockpot and I sorted my November receipts for my book keeper. Feels good!

Secondly, I have created some new organization systems in my life. I was surrounded by a desk full of papers and I was spending more time "looking" for something than I was "doing" something. When my desk gets cluttered, it's a direct reflection of what's going on in my mind. It's a sign that my thoughts are scattered, my attention is everywhere, I have trouble focusing and I have a hard time remembering anything. But when I take an hour to sort through the pile and create a system of flow, my mind instantly opens up and feels freedom to create. No longer do I feel bogged down, I feel empowered knowing that whatever I need is exactly where I filed it ;)

Lastly, I have been playing the "timer" game. If there's a task on my list of things to do and I find myself avoiding it (filing, working out, etc), then I throw on a timer for 20 minutes. I tell myself, "I don't need to work at this until it's finished and perfect, I just need to put 20 minutes of effort into it". Then I throw on some Songza.com and get going. Amazingly (and not so surprisingly), I usually find my groove after 10 minutes and the 20 minute timer seems too short.   

It's the little things that make a difference when it comes to productivity and finding a sense of accomplishment. I've come to realize that my life will be a constant roller coaster ride of feeling in and out of control. But it's nice to know that I am establishing some strong defences and habits right now. I'm hopeful that I can keep this streak of proactivity and organization going for the whole month of December. I love heading in to a New Year feeling clear minded, open and in a solid groove. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kyle, if you haven't seen this, you will love a book called 'Getting Things Done'. Talks about some great ways to maintain that sense of flow and creativity that comes when you are organized. And I don't work for them, just an engineer here in Calgary. Cheers! Laura

Kyle Shewfelt said...

Thanks for the recommendation!