Saturday, January 17, 2009

Happiness Now

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

- Mahatma Gandhi

This quote stood out to me. I believe it is very true.

We spend so much of our lives thinking about what we "should" be doing. We spend countless hours focusing on everything that we would like to be. Often, we wish we were somewhere else and doing something else.

I challenge you to to think, speak and act in a way that are all supportive of each other.

As the New Year quickly progresses, try to take a moment to reflect on the past 17 days and ask yourself this question: "Have I been living each day experiencing and projecting happiness"?

Many believe that happiness is something that you can 'achieve'. A common thought is: "If I can just get ________, then I will be happy".

I beg to differ. Happiness is a choice. It's a state of mind. It's acceptance of yourself, your thoughts and your actions.

In this New Year, I have been making a conscious effort to look around and observe my surroundings. Fact is, I have seen a lot of unhappiness.

One example: I was driving the other day and I saw a man in his BMW going mach 10 and risking his life (and the lives of others!) just to get past a slower truck. He was in the merging lane, sped past 3 cars and narrowly slipped into traffic with only meters to spare before he would have slammed into a median.

My question is, "Was it worth it"?

Later, that same BM dub was one car in front of me at the next set of lights. I admit, I chuckled. Sucka! But I also felt sorry for the poor dude. Risk vs Reward. I don't think the risk paid off.

This got me thinking...this gentleman either had an endowment issue (teenie weenie) or he was chasing happiness in the same way that he was chasing a position in the line of traffic.

When one is happy, they can let the little things brush past them. Arriving at your destination 2 minutes later because you are behind a slow moving truck, in the grand scheme of things, is not worth risking a potential car accident.

Many in this life are always trying to get ahead. The desperation and insecurity in their being is so evident by their actions.

Another example: I was speaking with a close family member whom I adore. They are struggling slightly to find a balance. They are overwhelmed and feel sometimes as if they are spinning out of control. In fact, they are letting themselves believe that they are losing control of their actions.

In reality, unless experiencing chemical issues in the brain, we are always always always in control of our actions. Actions are choices.

We can always have an excuse. Being too tired, having too much to do, not feeling "up to it"...these are common excuses that we give ourselves as to why we are not in a place in our life where we are truly happy. But the thing is, we usually know within ourselves what we need to do in order to feel happy. Why do we avoid these things? I do it. You probably do it. We all do it! But seriously, it sounds so simple...stop thinking about doing it and just friggin do it! Geez.

We tend to let ourselves reach a breaking point. We get fed up with our actions and we start taking action. One of my goals for 2009 is to not let myself get to the point of guilt and stress based on all of the things that I think I should be doing. I want to continually be taking action and also accept that sometimes not everything works out...ultimately, my happiness is up to me.

We can not rely on others to make us happy. Yes, people can contribute to us having a good time, smiling and laughing, but that is just happiness on the surface. Inner happiness, that calm, peaceful and accepting happiness is a state of mind that can only be found within.

We can not control anything in this world besides our own thoughts, our own words and our own actions.

Have you ever met someone who just beamed an incredibly beautiful light? I think we have all encountered someone of this nature. Why don't all of us project this energy?

I believe it's because everyone feels like they are not good enough. They are judging themselves and they are judging everyone around them. I am trying very hard not to judge. I am making an effort to be more accepting. I am genuinely trying to show love and interest to everyone I meet. I have seen the direct effects of this action. I feel a deeper connection with the world, a stronger connection with myself and a new, very refreshing view on life.

Maybe it's been all the yoga I've been practicing that is helping me on this journey of acceptance. It does have a profound effect on the way you see the universe. Looking through your own eyes at the world and at yourself, without judgement, makes you feel so at ease. It's almost as if you want to let that poor jerk cut in front of you in traffic. Please. Go Ahead. It's all good. Whoops, almost hit me there. But that's OK because I think life is grand! Euphoria is so fun.



Happiness is within. Happiness radiates. I encourage you to start thinking, speaking and living like you're immersed in your ultimate life of happiness!

KS

4 comments:

Leia said...

I love reading your posts because you have such an amazing mind. You see things in a way that no one I know does. You give me a different perspective on life and the way I live it.

Oh, and I agree, yoga does amazing things for the mind. It soo relaxing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kyle,
Thanks for the words of wisdom. Just reading your post today made me happy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kyle,

I am 24 years old and i would like to thank you for being involved this summer in an article of the newspaper La Presse, from Montreal. There is a part that help me a lot. I have been learning how to see victories in some days that are very difficult. Right now, i have been living for 2 years with bipolar disorder illness, and you know, even though i ams since a week depressed because there are some side effects with the pills, i still think there is a hope and that i did a lot. Im now more courageous and ready to live until i will get old. Thks u again for your words.

Anonymous said...

i so very much agree with you..its upto ourselves to be happy. it just maybe takes time or for something to happen that makes us realise that..until we start living like that.
this post made me feel happier in a way..it was different.