Tuesday, November 22, 2011

To be a gymnast...


I got a note from a young gymnast who quit a year and a half ago, but is considering a comeback. He asked for my advice. Below is what I wrote to him. 


This is what it takes to be a gymnast:

Here's the deal - it requires a lot of effort, passion and love of the sport to be a gymnast. You have to be physically tough, mentally tough and be great with time management. There is no shortcut to the top. You have to show up everyday and pull the most out of yourself. You have to do it when you are tired, sore, injured and bleeding. You have to do the hard things even when you don't want to. That's the hardest part. 

I would say it's the sport that takes the most time and dedication. You don't get days off - even when you have a day off, you need to live the lifestyle of a gymnast.

So, I'll ask you this: Why do you want to return to gym? Is it because you miss it or is it because you know you have unfinished business and you are ready to commit to being great. You have to really want it to make it worthwhile. I've seen a lot of guys quit and then want to come back after a year and a half because they realize that something feels missing without being in the gym. What you are feeling is normal - I urge you to search really deep for the reason WHY. That will tell you a lot.



I hope that this resonates with him. I hope he is able to find the WHY and to make a decision that is the right one for him.


Good luck.




No comments: