Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Cruisin'

I would like to make an announcement!

I am no longer completely dependant on everyone else!

I've got wheels and I know how to use them! Just don't tell the insurance company!

I got the clearance to drive a few days ago and I finally got the guts up to try it on my own. I don't know why I was worried, it's just always weird to drive when you haven't in a while. It's almost like I didn't trust myself.

As it turns out, the driving part is actually easy, it's the getting in and out of the car that is hard. You have to throw your crutches in, making sure that you are close enough to the drivers seat that you can shimmy around and sit in it with your legs hanging out the side. Then you have to carefully turn yourself a quarter turn and then you are in position to drive.

I never knew how much I took stepping into a car for granted.

I had to trade cars with my dad because I drive a 5 speed VW golf and he drives an automatic Saturn. Pushing the clutch in with my left foot was impossible.

To be able to get from A to B without having to have assistance is a very liberating feeling though. The only bad thing is the distance that I have to crutch to get into the University from the parking lot. Chaffing sucks. Thank goodness it isn't -30 and snowing though!


See you at the red lights,


Kyle

No comments: