Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Urgency

On the eve of the Stanley Cup Final, I thought that it would be appropriate to write about the intense sense of urgency that the players must be feeling.

I'll admit, I am not the biggest fan of hockey in the regular season. I find it to be slow and I tend to get frustrated knowing that the worst guys are making $700,000 a year. I go to the games because I like it when the community comes together and I also like the beer ;)

There are 2 hockey games that I love - the final game of the Stanley Cup final and the one for Olympic Gold. I love the do or die attitude. I love that everything is on the line. I love that every person feels the pressure and sense of urgency that comes when you only have one shot.

Players skate faster, goalies focus harder, fans cheer louder - every sense is heightened to the peak. Although every second in life is indeed precious, during these moments of truth we really start to notice the remarkable difference a second can make.

The video below really resonated with me. It makes me feel alive. It makes me want to be in a position where greatness is on the line. 

WARNING: LANGUAGE ALERT

I wonder who will rise to occasion tonight? Who will go the extra inch? Who will push their limit a little more than the other? Who will skate harder? Who will narrow their focus more? Who's fans will cheer louder?

Like I said before, I am not a big fan of hockey. I am, however, a HUGE fan of seeing people rise to their ultimate potential and push themselves an inch past what they thought their limit was.

Kyle














No comments: